- A guest house is smaller and has no kitchen.
- A second unit is a full house; just limited to 840 square feet.
- The floor area of a guest house shall be a maximum of six hundred forty (640) square feet.
- No provisions for appliances or fixtures for the storage and/or preparation of food…
- Shall not be located more than one hundred feet (100?) from the primary dwelling on the subject lot
- A second unit shall not exceed eight hundred forty (840) square feet in floor area.
- A second dwelling unit may be attached or detached from the primary dwelling on the site. A detached second dwelling unit may also be a manufactured home on a permanent foundation.
- A second dwelling unit shall be permitted only on parcels with a minimum gross lot area of at least two (2) acres (there are exceptions for property served by public water and sewer)
There are many qualifications and limitations that apply to both dwelling types, and you will need to check the Sonoma County Zoning Regulations for changes to the rules. Please keep in mind that Sonoma County’s guidelines for second dwelling units were mandated by the state to help create more affordable housing. Many of the exceptions in the regulations allow for more flexibility and size if you are willing to commit to an affordable housing agreement for up to 30 years.